Recipe and comments courtesy of basket customer Dawne Anderson Spinale
- 3 med. beets (3/4 lb.), trimmed and scrubbed
- 4 thin slices Italian bread, cut in half, or 8 slices French bread
- 1 small leek, white part only (or use 1015 onion, since you have it!)
- 2 T. chopped Italian parsley (or Thai Basil?)
- 2 T. white wine vinegar
- 1 T. extra- virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 oz. Gorgonzola
1. Use your favorite method to cook beets. When cool, peel and dice or chop roughly in food
processor. If you use the food processor method, your beets will stay on the crostini better. . .
2. Preheat oven to 350. Bake bread slices in single layer on baking sheet until crisp and
golden, about 15 minutes. (You can also toast or grill.)
3. Slice leek lenghtwise into quarters, then thinly slice croswise. Transfer to a colander and
rinse well to remove any sand. press out excess water. (You can also use finely chopped
shallots. i bet green garlic would be interesting, too.) Press out excess water. In a bowl,
combine the leeks, beets, 1 T. parsley, vinegar and oil. Season with salt & pep.
4. Spread each toast with some of the gorgonzola. Top with some of the beet mixture and
sprinkle with remaining 1 T. parsley. Serve immediately. Makes 8 crostini for 4. (I think more . .