- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 head of fresh garlic, diced
- 1 carrot, cut into small dice
- 1 cup French green lentils or other lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, w/ liquid
- 1 tsp. salt & dashes black pepper
- Fresh greens, cut into strips (chard or spinach)
- 1/3 cup raw rice
- 6 cups water or broth, or a combination
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil /butter and then
sauté the onion, garlic and carrot, stirring occasionally
until vegetables are soft (about 5 minutes). Add greens
and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes or so.
Add lentils to the pot, along with bay leaf, tomatoes,
broth, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
Add the rice, stirring to blend well, and continue to
cook for 25 more minutes until the rice and lentils are
cooked. Adjust the seasoning, and add the vinegar.
courtesy Marilyn Scher