4 Servings — Low-fat
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 x 1-inch strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 2 x 1-inch strips
- 1 tomato, cored, seeded and finely diced, or 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 11/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add bell peppers and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Cover and cook until peppers are soft and browned all over but not mushy, about 7 minutes.
2. Add tomato, garlic and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Stir in basil and parsley. Keep warm over low heat.
3. Make polenta: In medium saucepan, bring broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Slowly drizzle in cornmeal, whisking continuously. Reduce heat and cook, whisking continuously, until polenta reaches the consistency of soft mashed potatoes, about 5 minutes. Whisk in butter and cheese.
4. Spoon mound of polenta on each serving plate and top with vegetables.
PER Serving: 328 CAL; 9 G PROT; 9 G TOTAL FAT (4 SAT. FAT); 36 G CARB.; 13 MG CHOL; 321 MG SOD.; 4 G FIBER