- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 c. celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 c. peeled and diced eggplant
- 1 lg. red or green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped black olives
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 4 lg. tomatoes, chopped
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. sugar (or less of honey)
- 3 tsp. chopped fresh basil pepper to taste
Heat oil in lg. fry pan – when hot, add garlic, onion and celery; sauté till soft.
Add tomatoes, eggplant and pepper and sauté 10 minutes.
Add rest of ingredients, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes or more. Should be thick and condensed. Chill. Serve at room temperature with crackers or good Italian bread.