Escarole with Lemon Breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 finely chopped green onions
- 2 lemons, zested, plus 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tecolote escarole, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few grates nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- A drizzle honey
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
When butter melts add bread crumbs, onions and lemon zest.
Toast the bread crumbs until golden
Transfer to a bowl and return pan to heat.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan and then add the escarole. Turn escarole in oil to wilt, then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Add the stock and honey and simmer over low heat 2 to 3 minutes to mellow greens a bit.
Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over greens, top with the bread crumb mixture and serve.