Mediterranean Cookbook provided by our farmworker, Colin Peden
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 2½ c. chicken stock
- grated lemon zest of 1 lemon
- ¾-1¼ c. milk
- fennel leaves for garnish
- Deep fry lemon zest for garnish in ½” oil a few seconds until it changes color.
- Heat olive oil and cook onion on low for 5 minutes. Add fennel and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 20 minutes until the fennel is tender.
- Puree until smooth. Add milk until desired consistency is reached.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until the onions begin to brown and caramelize, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more, until fragrant.
- Add the mustard greens and broth and cook until the mustard greens are just barely wilted. Toss with sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper.